Stopping it from happening is the most critical place to begin. Taking proper safety precautions will lower your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in the Niagara Region.
Here are a few steps you can take to protect your family:
- Idle your car out of your garage. Cars are a significant source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so don’t leave yours on in the small space of a garage. The same goes for gas equipment like lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t operate ovens or grills as heating sources. These appliances are safe when used properly but can produce carbon monoxide when run for a long period of time in little spaces.
- Don’t run a gas generator indoors, since it makes fumes.
- Have your chimney examined by a specialist. This confirms chimneys and vents are clear and connected correctly.
- Check gas appliances are working correctly, including your heater. You can make sure you’re getting efficient, safe comfort by booking routine furnace maintenance with Service Experts Home Services by Enercare.