What can be done to protect my home from carbon monoxide?

Stopping it from happening is the most critical place to begin. Taking proper safety precautions will lower your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in the Niagara Region.

Here are a few steps you can take to protect your family:

  • Idle your car out of your garage. Cars are a significant source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so don’t leave yours on in the small space of a garage. The same goes for gas equipment like lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
  • Don’t operate ovens or grills as heating sources. These appliances are safe when used properly but can produce carbon monoxide when run for a long period of time in little spaces.
  • Don’t run a gas generator indoors, since it makes fumes.
  • Have your chimney examined by a specialist. This confirms chimneys and vents are clear and connected correctly.
  • Check gas appliances are working correctly, including your heater. You can make sure you’re getting efficient, safe comfort by booking routine furnace maintenance with Service Experts Home Services by Enercare.