When bad weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair expert to check your system after the storm, they can likely provide you with good news that your steps worked.
At Niagara Home Services by Enercare, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time may not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are common during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets strewn about during severe weather. Just ensure you have turned the system completely off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a protected place so that they don’t get strewn about during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to head outdoors, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Niagara Home Services by Enercare prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that bad weather doesn’t hit us in the Niagara Region, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other problems that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for bad weather in the Niagara Region or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 289-273-2229 or schedule an appointment with Niagara Home Services by Enercare through our online scheduler.