When rough weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair professional to check your system afterwards, they can likely provide you with good news that your steps paid off.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time likely will not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets strewn about during severe weather. Just ensure you have turned the system completely off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a protected place so that they don’t get strewn about during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to head outside, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Niagara Falls, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other problems that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for severe weather in Niagara Falls or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 289-273-2229 or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.