Hearing odd noises when your air conditioner is working? There's probably something wrong with your AC. If you don’t fix it, it could lead to major—and expensive—problems later. We're going to help you figure out what’s occurring with your air conditioner and what you can do to correct it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling generally indicates a problem with your refrigerant line. If you can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from, that's alright. An expert can help verify where this noise is occurring. You can find more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could be due to debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Aging ductwork can produce noise inside your house. Read our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can come from a faulty refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Check out our hissing noise guide for more on that.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is likely an electrical issue. Check out our buzzing noise guide for further information.
- Clicking - Clicking can mean you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can see more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can come from a loose part. Check out our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A loud noise from your outdoor unit can mean an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Read our loud noise guide for supplementary information.
- Humming - Humming can be related to fan motor issues or a busted relay switch. Head to our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find further information about common air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep using my AC when it’s making a noise?
There are some cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's difficult to answer this question without examining your system.
Most of the time, we recommend shutting off the unit off and contacting a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you recognize there's a problem with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected spend, it's best to get problems corrected right away. Calling a professional could help lower future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.