Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air inside your home nice and cool, which means that any time you allow heat back in your home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than it needs to. While the air conditioner is your go-to for cooler air, there are a couple things you can do, outside of air conditioner service, to help keep the Niagara Falls heat out and help your air conditioner last through the remaining days of summer.
Here are some tips from Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to help keep hot air outside:
- Block out the sun. A lot of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by utilizing solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At minimum, install blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The areas in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Check out your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can do a complete comfort performance assessment for you to uncover leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Inspect your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that looks to be torn or showing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven generate a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave instead of your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that may create heat for evenings after the temperature outside drops. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and give those appliances the night off.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help shield the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also offer shade and deflect some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The greatest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After finding out about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the greatest option could simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is maintaining cool temperatures despite following the tips we noted, it might mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to make certain that your equipment is running as it should be and that you are getting top efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than necessary. Give Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Niagara Falls or set up an appointment online to have an expert check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s running correctly.