Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other space to your house, being comfortable in your new space no matter the weather is a priority. However, they can make a unique challenge for contentment. This is due to the fact extending ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be work properly with the higher load, since it was sized without including the addition.
One of the most affordable options is to add a mini-split. This system provides energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork required. Find out more about mini-splits and how installing one in your addition might be a great option.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Operate
A ductless mini-split, because they’re nearly identical to ducted heat pumps that have been used in southern climates for decades.
Heat pumps are very energy efficient since they shift heat to make your space cozier. In fact, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for extra rebates and decrease your utility costs for years to come.
Another exclusive feature includes zoned heating and cooling. As each room usually has its own indoor unit, you can select your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is very useful if you have a space with special temperature needs, including a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Addition
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for areas that lack ductwork. Here are a few reasons why it’s better than adding ductwork and relying on your existing heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is costly. Extending ductwork in your new addition can be costly. Although the total cost will depend on your house, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your existing home comfort system might become overworked. When your present heating and cooling system was installed, it was based on the square footage of your residence in advance of the addition. This may stress your system and make it fail more rapidly.
- Your comfort may be affected. Because your heating and cooling system is sized for exact square footage, your comfort could suffer if your system is forced to manage a bigger area. Your heating and cooling could be less powerful, and your utility bills could skyrocket due to the system needing to switch on more frequently.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Install
Like traditional systems, mini-splits are offered in several sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most regularly installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you collaborate our Experts at Service Experts Home Services by Enercare, we’ll help you choose the right size for your new area. And your wallet.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can generate huge energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or more when correctly serviced. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, when compared to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Service Experts Home Services by Enercare for Your Mini-Split Installation
From addressing all your questions and helping you pick the recommended model to providing Expert mini-split installation, Service Experts Home Services by Enercare can accommodate all your mini-split needs. If you’re thinking about a home addition or recently completed one, we can provide support. Give us a call at 289-273-2229 today to request a free consultation and estimate.