Spring is nice for a couple reasons: flowers bloom, you can open windows for fresh air and your energy bill is often at its most economical. That’s because you’re not using your heat or air.
But as mercury begins to increase, so do your energy charges. Here are some suggestions for saving energy in the Niagara Region and keeping costs low.
1. Schedule Annual AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system a seasonal maintenance appointment can help it run more efficiently and reduce costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep power costs down.
If your air conditioning equipment has had better days, spring is a smart time to update it. The energy-saving technology in newer AC systems is a big advantage for keeping your energy charges down.
2. Lower Your Thermostat
There’s a simple way you can save up to 10% on home comfort bills. Just set your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Understanding how to effectively work your thermostat is the easiest way to reduce energy costs in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re around at home. Think of it this way, the smaller the difference between exterior temperatures and inside temperatures, the cheaper your energy expense will be.
- When you’re away, set the thermostat to a significantly higher temperature or switch it off. It doesn’t make sense to cool an empty home.
3. Take Advantage of Other Approaches to Cool Your Home
You can try a couple other methods to help keep your house comfortable:
- Use a ceiling fan—By running a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no reduction in comfort. Have your fan move counterclockwise in the summer, which pushes cool air upward. This distributes cool air more equally when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds drawn—Sunlight quickly changes into heat as it comes through windows. Keep your residence more comfortable by drawing blinds and curtains when you’re not using sunny spaces.
4. Consider Installing a Smart Thermostat
You’ve left home and immediately realize you failed to turn up the thermostat. Then you worry about it the full day!
Smart thermostats figure out your habits and move the temp when you’re out to help you save on your bills. You can also change the temperature from anywhere with your phone.
These expert tips will all help keep summer energy bills economical. If you think it’s time to upgrade your thermostat or need AC installation, give our team a call at 289-273-2229 or contact us online. We’ll help you figure out the right solution for your space. And like always, all our services are protected by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.