Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect

There are lots of potential gases that may be present in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that come from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none are as harmful as carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide could be a matter of life and death, so it should not be treated lightly. What is extremely concerning is that it is hard to detect because it is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can manuveur its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on how big the leak is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can become fatal in a matter of minutes, or the gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things.

You absolutely cannot risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here’s what you can do:

  1. If you do not currently have a carbon monoxide detector in your house, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Niagara Falls to purchase one. Ask our experts about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect.
  2. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, don’t forget to check the batteries on a regular basis. Testing should be done every 90 days, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years.
  3. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start to have flu-like symptoms, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can be certain to receive alerts if there is any sign of carbon monoxide. Get the protection you need and call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Niagara Falls at 289-273-2229 to learn more.